I'm Hongwei Fan, a research engineer at Sensetime. I got my bachelor and master degree from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications(BUPT), under the co-advision of Prof. Cewu Lu(site) from Shanghai Jiao Tong University(SJTU) and Prof. Weihong Deng(site) from BUPT. My primary research interests are Differentiable Rendering & 3D Reconstruction. In my free time, I like "playing with" parallel computing and other acceleration techniques. Besides my research, I'm also enthusiastic in literature and arts, especially musicals and comedies.
This website was built upon LNMP and WordPress, with theme Sakura installed. If you want to build your own personal website in this way, a detailed instruction is strongly recommended. Special thanks to the instruction of Seoimo and the theme of Mashiro.
You can use the following Linux shell code to generate my E-mail address.
myname="hwnorm"; echo "$myname at outlook dot com"
- 2022.6~Now: Research Engineer, Sensetime.
- 2021.4~2022.6: Research Intern, Sensetime.
- 2015.9~2019.6: Bachelor student of the School of Information and Communication Engineering, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications(BUPT).
- 2019.9~2022.6: Master student of the Lab of Pattern Recognition and Intelligent Systems, BUPT. (Under the instruction of Prof. Weihong Deng, site)
- 2020.7~2022.6: Research Assistant, Machine Vision and Intelligence Group, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. (Under the instruction of Prof. Cewu Lu, site)
- Differentiable Rendering
- 3D Scene Reconstruction
- LiDAR Simulation
- Human-object Interaction
- https://github.com/hwfan/DriveDownloader (personal project, 100+ stars)
- 2022.12.17: 100 stars on GitHub!
- 2022.10.14: first media report on AiKeKe, a famous tech media on weibo. (link)
- DriveDownloader is a Python-based CLI tool, for downloading files on online storage such as OneDrive and GoogleDrive.
- Now DriveDownloader has supported four kinds of storage platform, and implemented some new features like multi-processing, resume and downloading from a list.
- https://github.com/DirtyHarryLYL/HAKE-Action-Torch/tree/Activity2Vec (first author, 190+ stars)
- Activity2Vec is a fine-grained activity feature extractor, it works like a pretrained backbone network on ImageNet / COCO, which aims at extracting multi-modal activity representation for downstream tasks like VQA, captioning, clustering, etc.
- Activity2Vec contributes to a major part of HAKE(Human Activity Knowledge Engine), a large research project conducted by MVIG-SJTU team.
DIO (Discovering Interactive Objects)
- Paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.07501, Code: https://github.com/DirtyHarryLYL/HAKE-AVA (co-first author)
- DIO is a large Video HOI dataset, containing 299 videos, 51 interaction classes and 1000+ object classes.
- DIO purposes a novel Video HOI Benchmark to evaluate human/object tracking and interaction detection simutaneously, and provides a strong baseline for the next generation of Video HOI.
- BUPT AI ML Club
- BUPT Microsoft Student Technology Club
- UE4 - Graphics application, blueprints, materials, rigging and skeleton. (2022-)
- CARLA - Vehicle simulation, asset creation, and traffic scene generation. (2022-)
- Blender - 3D generation, rigging, physical simulation and add-on programming. (2021-)
- Open3D - Parallelized ray casting and LiDAR simulation. (2022-)
- Mathematica - My first image recognition application. I built a simple object recognition project using its corresponding API. (2017-2018)
- MXNet - My first deep learning toolchain. Based on Insightface, I built a series of benchmarking tools to evaluate the discrepancy of face features (for my lab). I also used MXNet to do some research on deep transfer learning, and implemented some ops-level features like gradient reverse. (2018-2019)
- TensorFlow - I used TF when doing research on HOI, the related project is TIN, based on which I modified the pipeline for multi-GPU training. (2019)
- PyTorch - Now I often use PyTorch in my research. I have gone through the updates from v1.2 to v1.11, and used some of the new features such as NCCL, DDP, AutoGrad and MultiProcessing. (2019-)
- Slurm - I'm familiar with the Slurm + Lustre pipeline for constructing a large deep learning pipeline on cluster. (2021-)
- Misc - OpenCV, NumPy, LaTeX, ... (2017-)
- ECS - I am maintaining several cloud servers (including this site), and I mainly use Ubuntu. I designed topology with protocols like n2n (with parsec) to connect machines across ISPs for remote working. (2017-)
- NAS - I have a Synology server, for seeding on BYRBT (a P2P site in BUPT) and watching movies. (2018-)
- VNC - I designed a VNC solution for the rendering application on headless server, and it was widely used by my colleagues. (2022)
- Qt & PyQt & Beautiful Soup - I developed a software to analyze the prices of takeout in Beijing, using Beautiful Soup for crawler and PyQt for UI interface. (2017)
- LNMP & WordPress - This website was built upon WordPress and LNMP, where LNMP = Linux + Nginx + MySQL + PHP. (2019-)
- Arduino - I developed a doorbell system upon intelligent open-source hardware Microduino in my first year of university. (2015)
- VHDL/Verilog - I developed a game system which was referred by many of my schoolmates with music Todokanai Koi (the theme song of White Album 2) on Altera CPLD device. (2018)
- "Star of Tomorrow" English Competition of BUPT, Special Prize, 2016.5
- BUPT Students Mathematics Competition, Third Prize, 2016.4
- Chinese College Students Mathematics Competition, Third Prize, 2016.10
- "Competition World" Scholarship of BUPT, 2016.10
- Merit Student Award of BUPT, 2016.10
- Contemporary Undergraduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling, Second Prize(in Beijing), 2017.9
- Second Scholarship of BUPT, 2017.10
- National Scholarship of China, 2018.10
- Merit Student Award of BUPT, 2018.10
- Be nominated for the Best Student Award of the School of Information and Communication Engineering, BUPT, 2018.11
- “What's past is prologue”
Literature & Arts
- Actor, screenwriter and director. I have participated in the creation of many dramas since high school. My masterpiece is Darabonba, which is my first script and also the first musical of BUPT Yanfeng ACG Club. The details of these dramas are listed here.
|2014||A Talk of Fried Noodles||Two-man comic show||Lead|
|2016||Five Heroes of Langya Mountain||Drama||Supporting role|
|2018||Darabonba(Memorial Album)||Musical||Screenwriter, supporting role|
|2018||Love Story in the Winter||Musical||Director, screenwriter|
|2019||Love Story in a Sudden||Musical||Consultant|
- Writter, active in Zhihu(my site on Zhihu). I'm interested in the discussion about BUPT and Artificial Intelligence.
- Music lover. I love songs in 1980-1990, vaporwave, city pop, Claude Debussy, Johann Strauss II...
- Age of Empires 2(AOE2) - I often use the Huns as my civilization because their cavalries are imposing.
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms (9/11) - My favorite scenarios are 190(Eighteen Lords) and 194(Separatism). I'm more familiar with San9 due to its randomness.
- Pro Evolution Soccer 2013(PES2013) - I used FC Barcelona in the early years, and now I usually choose the teams randomly for fun.
- osu!mania(my site on osu!) - 1500pp in 4k mode. The level of the most difficult song I've played is 3.6(Miiro - AKINO from bless4).
- Sound Voltex - Level 11 and may be higher in the future due to the training of osu!mania.
- Majsoul(A Japanese Mahjong Game, 雀魂 in Chinese) - Level 3-3(雀杰3 in Chinese), my id: johntheuser.
- White Album 2 - A crazy fan of Touma Kazusa and Sugiura Koharu. It is also the inspiration of Love Story in the Winter.
- CLANNAD - I love the Dango Family and Furukawa Nagisa!
- Badminton - 1-2 times per week
- Biking - improving endurance
- Climbing Mountain - challenging myself
- Computer systems: A Programmer's Perspective
- The mythical man-month
- A Global History: From Prehistory to the 21st Century
- Das Kapital
- Steve Jobs
- On Top of Tides